3 years into an IVA and getting bad vibes. Love to hear from folk who have completed !

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
19 posts Page 1 of 2

Ken.wh

Post by Ken.wh » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:44 am
Hi,Am 3 years into an iva, can you give me examples , or real reviews/testimonials of real people who have successfully completed an IVA. Getting some real bad vibes lately

tinks81

Post by tinks81 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:56 am
Hi Ken.

We successfully completed our IVAs in February last year (last payment). We received our completion certificates in December (after much badgering I have to admit!)Our 6 years are up next week so hopefully soon after that our credit files will be clear & we can move on (although we have moved on loads anyway [:)]). Stick in there. Yes it's tough going but SO worth it in the end.Any queries you have, e-mail, ring, write to your IP & don't settle for anything less than a satisfactory answer. It's awful to say, but you really have to let your voice be heard. Good luck for the next 2 years & keep posting on here for support.

Dave.hf

Post by Dave.hf » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:11 am
hi i we are currently 3 years into an iva and i get these types of vibes all the time. my wife handles things better than me, but all we can do is keep going and we will get there in the end.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:09 am
We all have off days -- it isn't an easy journey by any means.

I finished mine early on payments made to date -- and had some major upheaval during the IVA -- but, with the help and support of my firms ( we got transferred part way in) it all went as well as can be expected.

What's causing your bad vibe feeling at the mo ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Radish

Post by Radish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 am
One month off completion, would never do an IVA again..Very exhausted at the end of it all and financially in the dog-house - but to be fair one monthly payment and no phone calls off creditors means that I have been able to focus on the task in hand..I have felt like my IP "owns" me a little though and all my finances, feel like I have to answer for every penny I get...If I could go back in time I would have simply stayed in debt and paid it on my own terms...I paid near 100% plus fee's so what was the point?
IVA complete March 2014 after 6 years.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:21 am
Radish: "If I could go back in time I would have simply stayed in debt and paid it on my own terms" ...

I sincerely doubt that creditors would have used your terms for repayment... I am sure, eventually their terms would override.

You paid near 100% plus fees -- but you didn't pay any interest over the last 5 years. I don't know about your circumstances, but, in my case, interest over the 5 years was as much as the original loans were in the first place.

Hopefully, Radish, none of us will ever have to do an IVA again :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Radish

Post by Radish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 am
I would rather have paid interest to the creditors than fee's to DFD - which totalled over £7k. I would have been in a position to up and down my payments, pay "most" of my windfalls i.e ppi..My gripe is my incoming dropped 3 years ago but I was still expected to pay the same! if my income went up I would be expected to pay "more". Last 3 years been impossible for me..Fell on deaf ears so not a happy bunny about the whole experience..Paying 100% plus interest was not somethng I would have complained about..My minimum payment was far less then the amount DFD arranged for me to pay each month. Mistake but like you say, I will respect money in the future and save up and buy the things I want.

topgear

Post by topgear » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 am
Believe me that its well worth it. We completed last september after 5 years ( plus 6 month extension for ppi but no extra monthly payments), received our c.c shortly afterwards. Yes it was hard going but you adapt to your outgoings . No more sleepless nights worrying about credit card payments that dont make a difference to the balance. Good luck in your last 2 years...it goes quick

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:19 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Ken.wh

Hi,Am 3 years into an iva, can you give me examples , or real reviews/testimonials of real people who have successfully completed an IVA. Getting some real bad vibes lately
I have genuinely successfully completed an IVA, just got my credit files cleaned up and now working on my husband's as he'll never do his own.

There is life after IVA.

A prime example of this being Andy Davie the site spokesperson for this site.

Have a look through a few of the blogs too.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Radish

Post by Radish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:25 am
If you can complete the IVA without payment breaks or putting payments down to be tacked on the end(like this silly person did) it will be a lot less painfull.. The 71 months have passed quick..the last 6 months have dragged though probably because Im itching to get passed that line lol...Im more sympathetic to my creditors who I owe money too then when I began because of this forum. I realised they are not the bad guys, I was.Im glad I sorted my own PPI out so I could hand more over to them (and not let some company take 25% out). Im going to try to have a good attitude when I have made my last payment lol. Overall IVA's are good if you do them properly.

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 am
This is whati call in the IVA
The Wilderness Years!!!
Halfway is the toughest time in an IVA as you feel like you have done your time and your life has been put on HOLD!!!
I know i have been there!!!!it was totally frustrating for me as well.
I completed my IVA last year and i felt like you in that you just want the whole thing over with and your life back!!!
What you need to think is that you have done fantastic getting to where you are NOW!!!
is it worth undoing all that hardwork and going back to square one!!.
Once you get to the stage when you only have a year and a half left you will begin to see the light and life will become that much better as you will be nearer to the Finish Line eg DEBT FREEDOM!!!.
If you are finding the IVA a struggle NEVER!!! be afraid of speaking to your IP as nobody wants to see you struggle and it is of no benefit to you or your Creditors.
I had 3-4 Payment Breaks during my IVA and as long as you can make payments you will be fine.
IVA will only fail if you DO NOT BOTHER!! letting the IP know the reason why and NOT BOTHER!! making anykind of payments!!!
Good Luck!!! YOU WILL GET THERE and you have done brilliant to get where you are!!

sponge

Post by sponge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:14 pm
I racked up 50k on credit cards @ 27-29% apr so when offerd 50p in the £ and despite the IP fees of 11k, that to me was a bargin and a life saver.

I finished my IVA two years ago despite any bad vibes you may feel today, life does return to total normal...

sponge

Post by sponge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:28 pm
Horrible horrible clause needs to be carved out like the cancer that it is!

sponge

Post by sponge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:35 pm
well that makes no sense a post has gone missing! oh well go home n have beer n curry

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:00 pm
I think a few have disappeared there, Sponge ... not another sinkhole I hope !!
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”